WHO WE NEED
SwipeSense builds and manages large-scale distributed IoT hardware networks that produce massive amounts of real-time sensor data. We’re looking for software engineers that have architected, worked in, or are excited to experience large scale, high volume, big data systems. We process billions of data points and terabytes of data to build a truly unique dataset in the world of healthcare.
At SwipeSense, we use the right tools for the job – and with a system at this scale, we live on the cutting edge of technologies, always questioning and rebuilding core components of our platform to meet the scaling demands of the future. As a member of this team, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining these systems. We’re looking for people with strong opinions around what you’re building and how it’s being built.
You’ll be responsible for helping to architect our platform, from redesigning our data pipelines to evolving our algorithms to scaling our web services. You’ll be working in our SwipeSense cloud (AWS) stack and helping collect, process, and analyze streaming sensor data and expose those results to various internal and external consumers in real-time.
This role has wide breadth, and will tackle a variety of technologies and concepts – from messaging systems in Kinesis to processing steps in Lambdas to ETL systems in SQL to Python Algorithms to Services in Go to Ruby / Rails APIs to React Client Apps.
- Share in the evolution and design of the data ingest platform by sharing, prototyping, and building new technologies to optimize or completely replace existing platform components.
- Assist with algorithm development to transform real-time IOT sensor data into customer insights.
- Develop and maintain portions of the Ruby on Rails API along with its various background processing tasks and job queues.
- Develop scalable technical solutions that respond well to high-concurrency workloads.
- Develop in React on the frontend to display real-time data in an elegant fashion through an intuitive SPA.
- Provide thorough regression tests and alerting procedures to provide resiliency to new features.
- Optimize existing code to lower object allocations and improve throughput.
- Minimum 2+ years of related full-time experience.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Experience with writing performant, optimized code for large scale applications (N+1 queries should give you conniptions)
- Experience with big data systems and real-time stream processing
- Experience in environments with multiple teams and distributed systems
- Experience with MVC frameworks and an understanding of RESTful APIs.
- A focus on consistent code style, full-coverage testing, team coding conventions, and separation of concerns.
- Experience working in an agile development environment.
- Comfort in developing in a terminal-heavy Linux/Mac environment.
- Excellent communication skills - plays well with others, ping pong skills optional.
Bonus if you have
- Familiarity with AWS as a platform along with its various services.
- Experience contributing to shared devops concerns such as CI servers, and automated deployment.
- Familiarity with the Hadoop ecosystem and related tools.
- Familiarity with container-based infrastructure with Docker.
- Contributions to open-source projects.
- Experience with data visualization and analytics.
Please note: position is full-time, at our Chicago headquarters or remote. SwipeSense offers competitive compensation, stock options and excellent medical and dental benefits. M/F/D/V